Thursday, August 04, 2005

Stack Management Day

I'm a stacker...everyone has their way of organizing things, and mine is to create piles of items that need to be dealt with - bills, laundry, books or cds to review, calendar items...I'm surrounded by stacks!

Every few weeks the stacks start to overtake my life and I have to spend a day or two doing "stack management" - this typically involves resorting the stacks, putting some things away, throwing others away, and recreating new (and hopefully smaller) stacks.

This "system" flies in the face of everything I've read about time management and efficiency. If you're a good time manager, you touch everything only once and deal with it immediately...there's no stacking involved because you've dealt with the item the first time you touched it and it's relegated to its proper place.

I've tried this, but it doesn't work for me. I have to be in the right mood/frame of mind for certain things. Frequently I'm not! Frequently I'd rather go for a walk with Eric, swim with Adam, play my violin, talk on the phone to my mom or sisters, surf the internet, or just goof off.

There's been a good bit of goofing off this week, so the rest of today needs to be spent in Stack Management Mode. The VIP guests arrive next week, and there are serious stacks littering their accommodations!

Usually in the midst of a day like this I make a resolution to stop procrastinating and get more organized. Maybe today's the day that resolution sticks...who knows? OK, off to deal with the stacks!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am a stacker also - thought I was the only one! Thank heavens for visitors - the piles go into a brown paper bag and stored in the laundry. Then I really feel guilty about that and realize it is time to dispose of them once and for all. I would love to be one of those clutter managers but I don't think it is in my future!!