Monday, December 18, 2006

Finals

You know that bad dream, the recurring one, where you wake up and you're late for your final? You've overslept and you're running through the halls of your school, looking for the classroom. You can't find it, because you've missed almost every class of the semester. You arrive finally to find the class handing in their papers...you're in big trouble!!!

I had that dream last night. I was the star, but it wasn't my final for which I was late - it was Eric's Biology final. In the dream, he was sick and I had to go take his final for him - the problem is that I've never taken Biology!!!

How much of a neurotic nutcase mom are you when you start having nightmares about your children's finals???!!!!

Today marks a rite of passage for Eric - his first high school finals. He has an easy schedule today: start school at 9, take two tests (Bio and PE - I can't believe there's a PE final) and be done by 12:15. He was actually pretty relaxed and prepared this morning on the way to school. Adam, on the other hand, was lamenting the injustice of Eric only having three half days of school this week when he has to endure a regular schedule through Thursday. I reminded him that while he was busy eating too many candy canes and doing "secret Santa" swaps his brother would be off studying for and enduring several hours of testing.

Quite honestly, I think I was way more nervous than Eric this morning. Perhaps that's because he's a much better student than I was in high school. He spent three hours with a friend this weekend, tutoring her for the English final. It was a joy to overhear their indepth discussion about the literature they'd read this semester. Eric is not only succeeding in high school - he is actually enjoying the process of learning, which is a thrill for his Mom.

Our morning prayer today was for Eric and all of the other students like him who face academic challenges this week - for their peace of mind, for the ability to give their best, and for bright futures. I know he'll do great, but tonight I'll probably be dreaming about that pesky Geometry test tomorrow!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

WOW!!! I can't believe Eric is in high school!!! Where has the time gone?

I'm sure he did great!!!