Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Craving Silence

I'm not sure why, but this week I find myself craving silence - absolute, profound stillness.

It could be the crazy schedule I've been keeping, burning the candle at both ends with work and fun. It could be the fact that my goofy violin recital performance is next week and my songs keep running through my head in that slightly off key way I have been practicing them. It could be that my boys seem to have Spring fever in the middle of December - Eric has been busy writing and recording loud new originals and Adam seems even more talkative than usual. It could be the phone that keeps ringing, the meetings that need attending, or even the sound of the timer on my overworked dryer.

Whatever the cause, I recognize the symptoms. I'm longing for an hour of solitude - time spent in the Eucharistic Adoration chapel, a long walk under the stars, or even a soak in the bathtub. Time spent just doing nothing more that what Advent is meant to be - preparing my soul to rejoice at Christ's coming.

How are you preparing? Are you feeling the same longing I am for stillness and a sense of peace? How do you find the time you need each day to carve out prayer and meditation time?

Part of my plan for the week is to turn things off: the radio, the computer, the television. The second part is to tune in: to my boys, to my husband, to my friends, and to those prayers that remain deep within my heart.

2 comments:

Patrice Fagnant-MacArthur said...

Hi Lisa,

I can so relate. I always crave silence. One thing I have been doing lately is shutting off the radio in the car. I now use that time to pray or talk to the boys if they feel like talking. Sometimes it is just nice to get rid of the "background noise!"

Good luck! I hope you find the silence you seek.

Patrice

Anonymous said...

It's neat how God has a way of calling us to prepare. I, too, have felt this longing this week. I know it's not a coincidence that this past Sunday was the first day of Advent. It's been way too cold here (in WI) to go for walks, which is a tool I love to use to get that silence I long for. I've been spending more time in our local perpetual adoration chapel. I always find peace there, except on Monday when the custodian was vacuuming in the chapel. ;) God's blessings on finding peace, Lisa!