Monday, December 25, 2006

Merry Christmas!

My Christmas present arrived early this year. As a matter of fact, it was delivered to me right in the middle of Communion at Mass on the Fourth Sunday of Advent.

In the Hendey family, as in my family of origin, our tradition is to open our Christmas gifts on Christmas Eve. So, some of you may argue that my present was right on time, but Adam and I would argue the point with you. Adam asked yesterday morning to have a friend over after our 9:30 am Mass. I told him no, pointing out that Christmas Eve is a family day and that his friend's family likely had plans for the day.

"Mom, it's not Christmas Eve yet," Adam debated. "It's the fourth Sunday of Advent. It's not Christmas Eve until we go back to Mass at 4:00." Score one for my son's knowledge of the liturgical calendar and for his potential future career as a lawyer.

So back to my present...

This year, Greg and I made one of those "no present" pacts. These are, indeed, my favorite types of Christmas celebrations. We both have everything we need, and then some. So I knew that my name was not on many of the gifts around my tree. My biggest prayer as Advent was winding down and as we stood on the doorstep of Christmas was for the gift of peace. Peace in our world, peace in my family and my parish, peace in our Church, and peace of mind. I wanted a Christmas free of hustle and bustle, free of lists, and free of stress. As I approached the altar to receive communion on the Fourth Sunday of Advent (yes, yesterday morning!) this was my Christmas dream.

Santa delivered early.

I looked up at the altar and watched my son and husband prepare to receive the Eucharist. For those of you who don't know already, let me explain that my husband is a convert to Catholicism. He joined the Church a little over three years ago. For the past several months, he and Eric have joined the music ministry at our parish, playing guitar together for our 9:30 mass. Watching the two of them together at the Eucharistic table filled my heart with joy. They have transitioned faith into weekly service and have become part of the heart of our parish. People stop me all the time to compliment their music and the joy they bring to our liturgy. My joy in watching them play together, receive Jesus together and bring others closer to God, redoubles weekly. It's a gift that never gets old, but rather gets even more precious to me each week.

Nestled next to me in the Communion line was Adam, who had just returned from his "duty" of junior teacher at the Children's liturgy of the word. He, too, is a role model of service for me. Each week, he arrives at mass early to vacuum and prepare the room used for Children's liturgy. He shepherds the younger children to and from their liturgy of the word. He frequently has a more complete comprehension of the Sunday readings than anyone else in our family. Adam feels his part in our parish's Body of Christ - he can't miss...they need him!

As we walked towards the altar, our good friend Christopher began playing the strains of Ave Maria on his French horn. Chris is a music major, home from college and back playing at mass. I could hear the progress a semester of intense classes had made on his playing. His tone was even more sweet than ever as the sound of his horn filled the parish, lifting our hearts to Our Lady.

Kneeling after Communion, my heart filled with prayers for my parish friends and family as they walked past me on the way to receive our Lord. For years, my wish was to feel a part of my parish - not just someone in attendance on Sunday. Growing up, Church was a second home to our family - I wanted this same sense for my own little tribe.

They passed by me, members of my parish family, each a special blessing. Those I see weekly but have never met personally. Those I have lifted in prayer and petition. The young widow with four sons. The high school senior I'm praying will get into Notre Dame. The mom with six kids who never miss Mass even though Dad doesn't come. The man with dementia who shakes each person's hand on his way back from communion. Our school friends. The Sisters who work with me in the parish office. The good friend who instructed Greg during his RCIA journey and his sponsor. The ones I know, and the ones I don't...

They all brought me my Christmas gift - that peace for which I'd been praying. Sadly, my prayers for peace in our world will continue to be lifted for Our Lady's intercession. But in my own little corner of the world, in my parish, my family and my heart, peace was hand delivered by my community. "To do" lists may continue to beckon and my goals may continue to exceed my capabilities, but I am blessed beyond measure.

My prayer for those of you who may pass by this place in the next week is that you find it in your own hearts - that Christmas peace which at times feels so elusive. I will be away from my computer for the next week, vacationing with my boys and taking a small break from technology. I thank each of you for all you have given and shared with me in the past year. I thank the writers who contribute their hearts and souls to make CatholicMom.com all that it is. I thank those who visit and those who pray for me. I thank my faith community, who continue to inspire me to try to be a better person. I thank my family for putting up with a mom who'd rather type and program than cook and clean. And I thank God, for His many blessings and for the gift of peace. Merry Christmas everyone!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Darling Lisa, You are God's wonderful Christmas present to me every day of my life. Love and Misses, Dad

Leticia said...

I had a Christmas just like yours, one ov peace and contemplation of my blessings.Wasn't it glorious!!
I, like you, had this intense desire to avoid presents for myself,which is NOT normal for me, and focus on the meaning of Christmas. Now I know where that came from, Our Lord, of course!
He gives the very best who leave the choice to HIM.

Tracy said...

This was so beautifully written, I could picture each family you mentioned walking through the church aisles, it brought tears to me. What a wonderful community we are a part of--and you saw it so clearly, writing about your morning so thoughtfully. Thanks for sharing...Tracy

Unknown said...

Lisa ~ I'm glad you got such a wonderful Christmas present. It's nice to hear when others celebrate the importance of Christmas...not the material Christmas.

I hope you have a wonderful week with your boys.

Kristen Laurence said...

This is beautiful and inspiring. What a wonderful Christmas!