Friday, July 07, 2006

A Midsummer Night's Campout

Adam and I went camping last night.

Granted, it was in our own backyard. But if it involves Mom leaving her comfy waterbed and sleeping in a tent or Mom having to truck through dew-filled grass at 3 am to use the facilities, it's camping.

We started with s'mores at our outside fire ring. After fifteen minutes of being descended upon by mosquitoes, we realized we'd forgotten to put on bug spray. The great thing about camping in your own backyard is that if you forget something, you can just walk inside the house and find it.

Once we were coated in enough bug spray to scare off even the most persistent mosquitoes, the s'more cooking continued. Adam decided to cool off with a late night dip in the pool, and then it was time for bed. We snuggled into our two man tent, accompanied by five stuffed animals. I love the fact that they're still in the picture for my 11 year old! Through the "moonroof" of the tent, we could see a sky littered with stars. Adam insisted he heard a fox outside the tent - we have a little grey fox the boys have dubbed "chickenhound" who likes to climb our apricot tree and eat the fruit before we can get to it!

Prayertime included blessings for those who didn't join us on the camping trip - Eric, in his own room, and Daddy, who I'm sure was enjoying every square inch of the king sized bed!

Next thing I knew, it was morning. Adam slept in, but I headed back to civilization for my morning prayers and walk. We had such a great time we're talking about camping again tonight!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What Fun! did the bug spray work all night? It's good no one else wanted to join you if you only have a two man tent. This reminds me of how Vicki & I used to spend all day preparing to spend the night in the back yard tent...all the food, stuff to read, flashlights, etc. Then, we always seemed to be sure it was going to rain...I don't think we ever made it past 10. You two are good! MOM