Monday, July 23, 2007

Martha, Martha, Martha

I love yesterday's gospel reading. It's always one of my favorites, prompting me to do a mental check on my level of "marthaness" as opposed to the state of my inner "maryness". I'd have to say that I tend more towards the Martha in most situations. Maybe it's being an eldest child and a control freak...who knows?!

At the Mass we attended, the homilist gave a wonderful exegesis on the passage, encouraging each of us to take time to seat at the feet of Jesus each day. Reminding us that yesterday was also the feast day of Mary Magdalene, he called each of us to be true disciples, putting God first in our lives as St. Mary Magdalene had done.

Hospitality is a grace and a treasure. I learned early on from my parents that opening your home to friends is always a treat. Our priest yesterday reminded me that true hospitality takes a little bit of Martha and a little bit of Mary to be successful. In our spiritual lives, hospitality means sharing not only our homes, but also our time, treasures and talents. In relating the celebration of the Mass to the Bethany experience, Father reminded us to be like Mary at Mass: to be on time and to stay for the duration of Mass, to listen with all our hearts, and to choose the "better part" in savoring the Eucharist. Being both Martha and Mary means serving one another, but truly listening to one another as well, while we are serving. As mothers, we have a wonderful opportunity to meld these traits in the loving service of our families.

For some other wonderful takes on Sunday's gospel, I recommend:
Sixteenth Sunday of Ordinary Time homily by Father Hahn
Making Time for Prayer by Patrice

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello!
To add to the insights you expressed:
The sacrament of Matrimony invites us to be Christ for one another. Each of us, man and woman, has elements of the Martha (busy about many things) and Mary (a listening heart). One way for a husband to express love for his wife is to encourage her "Mary" side, and one way for a wife to express love for her husband is to lighten up the world's expectation of work as the be-all and end-all of a man's identity.
Kathleen Miller

Unknown said...

Kathleen,
Thanks for your visit to my site and for sharing your thoughts! Lisa