Thursday, April 13, 2006

Holy Thursday

Today's Readings

Do you realize what I have done for you? You call me "teacher" and "master" and rightly so, for indeed I am. If I, therefore, the master and teacher, have washed your feet, you ought to wash one another's feet. I have given you a model to follow, so that as I have done for you, you should also do.

Today, we celebrate Holy Thursday and the Mass of the Lord's Supper, the first day of the Triduum. I always love attending Holy Thursday Mass at my parish. Tonight, I have the honor of photographing our candidatcatachumenschumens who will be received into full communion with the Church at the Easter Vigil Mass on Saturday. I am always awed by these men and women who have given so much time, energy and effort into their RCIA preparations. They bring a gift of enthusiasm and desire that fills my heart. All of the spiritual work they have put into their RCIA preparations is amazing. Frequently, they go on to be some of the most committed and devoted members of my parish.

Another part of the Holy Thursday liturgy that I love is the candlelight procession to our Altar of Repose. We silently file after our priest, who has removed the Blessed Sacrament from the tabernacle. In darkness, we process around the exterior of our church building, each holding a candle. The path to the altar of repose is lit by CandidatCatachumenschumens, each holding a candle. The silence is stunning as we walk along the sidewalk of a fairly busy street. I always wonder what passing motorist think when they see us processing in silence in a single file line like that. Our procession ends at the Altar of Repose, where we have silent time in front of the Blessed Sacrament. It is truly a wonderful evening, and one I look forward to every year.

No comments: