Friday, December 02, 2005

Hello, my name is Lisa and I'm a yarnaholic...

Is there a 12 step program for crazy women addicted to buying yarn? If so, will someone please send me the link, as I think I need to join.

Here's the situation:

Luckily, I am not a big shopper - it takes too much time I'd rather spend doing other things. But every once in a while, I find myself out, like today, in one of those "big box" stores.

Today's mid-day errand was to a fabric store, to purchase yardage to sew some sort of table cloth to cover our pool table and make it look a little better for the hospital holiday party we're hosting next week at our house.

Sounds simple right? Have you been fabric shopping lately? There are too many great choices! And the person who's job it is to cut the yarn is always some sweet, slightly older lady who feels compelled to have a full conversation, complete with advice, on the project each shopper is undertaking.

All I plan to do is buy the fabric and spread it over the table. There may be some masking tape involved if the edges need to be folded over to avoid unsightly scraggly threads hanging down. I do not need the advise of the precious yardage-cutting lady. Martha Stewart would be appalled!

The line is interminable. I whip my way through one decade of the Rosary, praying for the poor souls in purgatory and the poor souls in line.

I say the second decade, praying for patience, and then notice bright "sale" signs in the nearby yarn department.

Two Hail Marys into the third decade, I decide that I'll just check to see what's on sale...despite the fact that it will take me at least a year to knit all the projects I've got already lined up.

You guessed it...I leave the line, and prayers unfinished, head over "just to look".

And by the time I finished in the yarn section, the sweet yardage-cutting granny was ready and waiting for me! Good time management, right?!

So now I have two tablecloths to sew (granny talked me into buying some really cute edging stuff to put along the hems), and yet another knitting project!

Yarnaholics Anonymous, here I come!

1 comment:

Luv 2 be a stay home mom said...

I am the same way with Cross stitching. I have a huge 10.5" x 26" Last supper on the go and will probably take me another two yrs to finish. Yet when I see a beautiful pattern or skiens... I spend, spend, spend...

P.S. I love your whole site. I just started mine. I have been visiting your site and web site for awhile. You are doing a wonderful service, and certainly encouraging me to do a better service for our Lord, and the Holy Mother.