Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Prayer Puzzles: A Great Way to Learn Prayers for Lent!

Thanks so much to Linda for writing in with the following suggestion for helping children to learn their Catholic prayers:

My name is Linda and I live in Pennsylvania. I really enjoy your site. I have been stepping in for the first grade CCD teacher a lot this year and have found many great things on your site. I wanted to share an idea I had to help teach the children their prayers. The teacher was working on all the children being able to say the Glory Be and the Lord's Prayer. What I did was type out each prayer in a large font in short phrases, pasted colored paper to cardboard and cut them into shapes. I then pasted each short phase onto a shape, I used Velcro and poster board. I put the prayers in the right order and traced each shape onto the poster boards. What you do is hang the poster board for all to see, put all the pieces on the table in front of the kids and ask them to start the Our Father. They find the find the first piece and then the next and so on. Each time they find a piece they start from the beginning, Our Father, Who art in Heaven, Hallowed be thy name and so on, because they keep repeating it, they have all learned the Our Father and Glory Be. Please share this as our kids really loved it and we used it week after week.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi. My name is Noela Mikaili. A catholic mom from Turlock, ca. I just wanted to say this is a great site for all catholic mons. It is my first time in the site and I loved it. I teach bible study in our catholic church and this site I know will help me. Just wanted to say thanks.

Mom from Cali.

Anonymous said...

hi my name is samantha minto i am from Torqtay Devon in England and i just wanted to say i love this site i am helping with a first holy communion group and the kids love the bits i have got from you.

sam england

Anonymous said...

Hi, my name is Flav. Thanks for this teaching idea. I have a similar learning strategy but instead of cutting it into shapes, each phrase is cut into one-lined strips. Then the kids will have to put the phrases in the correct order to form the entire prayer.