Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Surviving Your High School Reunion

Dear Class of 1982,

I just got home from my 25th Reunion from Mater Dei High School and I wanted to share a few words of wisdom with those of you who might be contemplating taking the plunge and attending your reunion next year. I have to preface this by saying that I was a skeptic and a reunion newbie - this was my very first high school reunion!

The following are my tips for you, to ensure a fun and stress free reunion experience:

1. Go with friends - My attendance at this event was owing to a friend who took the lead and convinced as many people as she could to participate. Like me, she had never been to a reunion and figured 25 was a great place to start. I took the drive down to Orange County and spent the day with my two good friends from high school. We actually turned the reunion into a slumber party, which was much more fun than attending only the party itself. It also afforded a lot more chance for deeper conversation with the friends I cared most about seeing.

2. Don't worry about your appearance - Everyone has changed in the last 25 years! We Moms can tend to go into these types of events thinking, "Hey, I can lose 25 pounds by then, no problem!" That type of stress dieting frequently results in pounds gained and lower self esteem. If you're happy, genuinely, happy, with your life, it shows in your face. My Daddy taught me to wear a big smile at shindigs like this, and I'm convinced it helps. I wore an old dress I love (hey, these people haven't seen it!), comfortable shoes, and the tan I picked up at my sister's beach house. I'm sure I wasn't the prettiest, thinnest or youngest looking girl at the reunion, but I wasn't those things in high school either. This difference is that now, it doesn't seem to make as big a difference to me as it did back then. The friends I met at the reunion came in all shapes and sizes. Do I remember what haircut they had or what clothes they were wearing? No - I remember their kids names, where they live now, and the stories they shared.

3. Go visit your old high school - For me, one of the highlights of the day was the trip our friend Cheryl led over to Mater Dei. It was great to see how the campus has grown and flourished. It was also fun to reminisce about places on campus we'd been and things we'd done. I have a terrible memory, but visiting campus brought back a few vivid images and helped me emotionally prepare for the evening Reunion party.

4. Don't drink too much - This should be a no-brainer, but apparently it isn't. Monitor what you're drinking and eat a good meal before you go, because you probably won't eat much at the party. It's a terrible thing to not see someone for 25 years and then be left with the mental image of them drunk for the next 25. Also, if you plan to drink, PLEASE arrange for a designated driver.

5. Have Fun - Talk with everyone, even the people you don't remember or never met in high school. Some of my favorite conversations of the evening were with people I was meeting for the first time. Our class was large, so there were many people in attendance I'd never met before. Everyone has a story to tell! I met the class science geek who now has long hair, is the CEO of a company and the lead singer and guitarist in his own rock band. I another woman who turned out to be good friends with someone I'd lost touch with long ago - thanks to that conversation I now have my old friend's contact information. It was so fun to meet and enjoy so many interesting personalities, and to savor the connection we shared during our formative years.

So, Class of '82, despite your fears or worries, you should start making plans now to attend your big reunion next year. Be the friend who calls everyone up and says, "Let's go, and you can sleep at my house!". You'll be glad you did!

Lisa
Class of 1981

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you need to make a correction...I think you graduated from Mater Dei in 1981...maybe I'm wrong, but wasn't ND 1985? Mom

Unknown said...

Good stuff, Lisa. I'm so glad you had such a great time. For those, like me, that didn't attend just one high school, I have to say that it's even harder to decide. I haven't gone to a reunion yet because of this. And, I thought I'd wait until 30 or 40, simply because I can't stand to think of people feeling self-conscious about their appearance. By 30 or 40 years since graduation, I hope that NOBODY cares! ; )

P.S. You look plenty young and cute!

Anonymous said...

nice -- very, very nice!!
L & M, Dad

Anonymous said...

I am so happy that you had a good reunion. I just went to my 10 year HS reunion last year and boy was it a mess. A few highlights were the overflowing toliet, orange strings of lights for the "lights", many drunk people, subs and kegs for "food"! I have so many stories. Unfortuantly it was a Catholic High School, and at the time I had the most children- 3. Only one other person had 2 children. We cannot forget to pray really hard for our HS class. They need our prayers for if we do not, who will? God bless you all!

Anonymous said...

Happened upon your site - how funny to scroll down and see the statue of the Blessed Mother in the Grotto of Mater Dei - my alma mater! Class of 1987 here. Never did make it to a reunion. Maybe I'll wait until the 25th - it'll be here sooner than I can possibly imagine. Wonder how many are still practicing the faith? I can't say with certainty many in my class were then . . . sad. Hopefully it was different with your class. God bless!

Andrea