Wednesday, February 08, 2006

World Marriage Day

We'll be celebrating this at my parish this weekend, renewing our wedding vows. My husband will be fifty yards away from me, playing his guitar on the altar...I hope it still counts.

Contemplating World Marriage Day takes me back to the 70's, when my parents daily "dialogue" sessions for Marriage Encounter were inviolable. We children dared not interrupt those letter reading sessions and even once burned the house down to avoid interrupting Mom and Daddy! "Dialoguing" was when my parents would write each other very important letters and then lock themselves into their bedroom to read and discuss them. As a grown up, I think that sounds like a great idea, and a way to actually have an uninterrupted conversation with my husband. But alas, I'm pretty sure that I'd wind up taking a nap instead of dialoguing...maybe that's what they were doing way back then. Who knows, but whatever it was they were doing worked - they're going on 44 years together!

Here's to a weekend of celebrating our wonderful marriages and to many more happy years!

No comments: