Sunday, January 01, 2006

Resolved

The Year of Our Lord, 2006

Happy New Year Everyone! I love this day every year, and even more so as I grow older and gain a bit more perspective on how quickly years seem to fly by.

January 1st is always a clean slate for me, and how wonderful that it falls on a Sunday this year and that I had the benefit of a wonderful homily from one of my favorite priests to help me kick start my New Year!

The inspiration started early, in the minutes immediately following the pot banging, sparkling cider drinking bedlam of the Hendey household. As I was drifting off to sleep with the TV playing in the background, I heard the drawl of one of my favorite people - Lou Holtz, conversing with Regis Philbin, post ball-dropping from Times Square.

Philbin asked Holtz, who is always a great source of motivation for me, to share his perspective on how to have a great 2006, by repeating some simple thoughts he had recently shared at the Notre Dame Football banquet. Holtz offered the following four things to strive for:

Something to Do
Someone to Love
Something to Hope For
Something to Believe In


As I drifted off, I thought about how simple and yet wonderful these four goals could be in my own life...if looked at with the proper perspective.

At Mass this morning, Msgr. Cotta provided that perspective for me.

After wishing us a happy New Year, he reminded us that we should strive to make 2006 the "Year of the Lord" (as opposed to the "Year of Lisa Hendey"). He called on us to be like the shepherds in today's reading from the book of Luke , who heard the message of the birth of Jesus, were amazed by that message, and rushed to share the message with others.

"Are you amazed at the name and the love of Jesus?" Father challenged me. "Are you amazed enough to live this year for Him, spreading His love and His message?"

So among the list of resolutions I've penned for 2006, in fact at the top of that list, is to make this "The Year of the Lord 2006"...to strive towards finding:

Something to Do - working through my service to others, my web "stuff" and my writing to share my amazement at the love of Jesus and the gift that He is in my life

Someone to Love - God, in His three persons, and through Him to be more loving and compassionate to those closest to me in my life and those I have yet to meet in His service

Something to Hope For - His promise, of heaven forever and even the heaven here on earth that is the blessing of my own daily life

Something to Believe In - Him, His Message and His promise for each of us

Somehow, it feels like embracing and sharing the amazement of Jesus' message will help me to have the strength and discipline to go after some of the other resolutions that populate my list, or at least to remember to have a loving and happy heart in their pursuit.

Here's to a great 2006!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are definitely "playing like a Champion today" (and everyday). Thanks for the inspiration. You, Lou and Msgr. Cotta provide provide a diagram for happiness. I remember a statement from Bishop Fulton J. Sheen in which he stated that the way to be happy is by striving to make someone else happy. Every time I think about you it is with a warm glow of happiness and pride. Love and misses -- Dad

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year to you also. I get the happiness of celebrating my oldest child's birthday on the New Year as well and it always brings an extra joy and a special prayer of thanks to God for her in my life.

We had a wonderful homily as well. It was to look at the year and be able to answer "Yes" to God and mean yes as Mary did. In all things we need to answer yes when He asks us to follow Him. And then even when it hurts we need to mean yes.

I think that will help me keep my New Year promises/resolutions which like yours are to grow in my faith and strive to be a better person inside so it shines to the outside.

Blessings
Heather

Anonymous said...

If 2006 is anything like 2005, then you will have no trouble at all meeting the objectives of your resolutions Lisa; through the generous use of your gifts and talents on the 'net you have proven to be an inspiration to my family, and although we have not yet had the opportunity to meet in person, I count you among the kindest people it has been my privilege to have met on the 'web'. Thanks for all you continue to do for God's people and all Catholic Moms (and Dads) out there.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the thoughts Lisa. As I sat at the bus stop today, I realized that I typically don't make New Year resolutions. I do make Lenten "resolutions" though. That time will be here soon. I enjoyed your article. I hope to become a regular reader.

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you! MOM