Monday, November 13, 2006

Countdown to the Wedding

This weekend, on Saturday, we will be in Chicago celebrating the sacrament of Marriage with my baby brother Michael and my new little sister Meg. My head is spinning with all of the preparations that need to be undertaken in anticipation of our trip.

I was getting a little stressed out this morning, and then I stopped myself in mid anxiety attack to say a little prayer for Michael and Meg. I can barely remember the days leading up to my own wedding - I know they were filled with lots of nerves, a few tears, and great anticipation. I can only imagine what Michael and Meg are going through this week as they prepare to jump into their new life together.

I remember being stressed out about silly things - my shoes, the photographer, my hair... thank goodness my sister Erin came to stay with me for a few days prior, to ease my stress and keep me laughing. Greg and I were relative babies when we married - I was only 22!

Michael and Meg are much wiser than we were back then, but I'll bet they are feeling the same mix of euphoria and nerves we felt. I want them to know, this week and always, that nothing is more wonderful than being married to the love of your life. I want them to know that despite all the last minute details and planning, something is likely to go wrong during the ceremony, but that it really doesn't matter. I want them to know that their sacrament, their day, will be perfect just as they are perfect together. I want to remind them about all of the people who love them so dearly - those who are flying in from all over to witness the joy of their union. I want to encourage them to take time to treasure this week, to soak in the love they feel for each other, and the love showered upon them by family and friends. I want to assure them of my prayers, not just for their wedding day but for the start of their perfect new family together.

Michael and Meg, I can't wait to be with you - I'm counting the days!

2 comments:

Alice Gunther said...

God bless them on their wedding day and always.

I am sure you do remind them of all the beautiful things mentioned in your post, just through your love and holy example of the sacrament of marriage!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Mom