Monday, October 30, 2006

Resting on the Sabbath

I always find a lot of inspiration in the writing of Catholic Mom columnist Patrice Fagnant-MacArthur. This week, Patrice's column looks at the concept of keeping holy the Sabbath. I admit to being a Sunday busybody. When we come home from Mass, I normally break my fast with a quick glance at the Sunday paper and then get busy around the house. My weekdays are typically packed to the gills, so Sunday becomes a "catch up" day. Greg is frequently gone working in the Emergency Room and the boys enjoy a day of hanging out while Mom scurries around putting away laundry, mopping, or generally moving stacks around.


Yesterday, we had a wonderful afternoon. Eric and I spent an hour "jamming" - him on guitar and me on fiddle. It seems I am going to "perform" in a recital in December. We'll see if I actually decide to participate, but he was helping me to practice my new songs. Next, the three of us (minus Dad) went on a little Geocaching adventure. The cache we found this week was an easy one, located in a large park near our house. The hunt was so simple that Eric and I decided to take the long route back to our car. We had a nice, thirty minute walk through crunchy leaves under a sunny sky. Adam prefers to walk thirty paces behind, scouting for sticks and taking the path less traveled. As I spent this time with Eric, talking about his week and generally getting caught up, I said a quiet thank you to God for the blessing of these precious boys.
I agree with Patrice that Sunday rest is essential to our spirit - I told her in an email that I'm going to read her column again Saturday night to give myself a boosted resolve.
p.s. can you spot the Cache in this picture? It was an easy hike, but for some reason it took us a few minutes to spot it! In fact, I almost walked right into it without seeing it - maybe it's time to start wearing glasses all the time!

No comments: