Monday, October 30, 2006

Just In Case

In case you're still looking for activities for Halloween, All Saints and All Souls, we have some great resources, projects and recipes at CatholicMom.com. I'm feeling a touch of the motherly blues this week leading up to Halloween. Adam is all ready for the big day with a new troll mask (wait until you see the picture) and lots of Daddy's old "troll like" clothing. Imagine being told that one of your favorite sweaters looks like something a troll would wear. The cause for my blues is the fact that big Eric, high school freshman, has officially reached the age where he'd prefer to spend the evening in the company of his friends than watching his younger brother roam the neighborhood. I agree that he is too old to dress up, but it breaks my heart a little that he's getting so independent. One of the moms is taking a group of them to our local corn field maze for a couple of hours. I remember those days with my boys when Halloween meant a week of parties, sometimes even multiple costumes (which later doubled as jammies) with playgroup friends, preschool classes and at Church. I remember sewing pirate costumes and dressing babies as pumpkins. I remember being able to swipe their candy without them realizing that suddenly all of the good chocolate stuff was missing. Watching my boys grow up before my eyes is fun, but sometimes a little bittersweet - today is one of those days when I wish God had blessed us with five or six little ones so I'd have someone to dress as a dinosaur tomorrow.

2 comments:

Long-Skirts said...

ALL HALLOW'S EVE

On All Hallow's Eve,
Doth blow the leave,
Bare branches
Bend down to the ground.

Children believe,
And simply conceive,
There's evil
And it's all around.

So pumpkins all lit,
Trick or treat just a bit,
All costumed they
Go through the town.

They face with much wit,
Tell jokes that do fit,
For fun,
It's really quite sound.

And then it's November
Until cold December,
Times, black,
That we all must pass.

But Catholics remember,
All Saints' Day, each member,
Dark's contrast...
Gold Light of the Mass!

Unknown said...

Dear L.S.,
Did you compose this poem? Lovely! Lisa