Friday, September 15, 2006

Our Lady of Sorrows

Thank you to Sue Terbay and Fr. Jerry for forwarding the following reflection on today's Feast of Our Lady of Sorrows:

Reading I: 1 Cor 9:16-19,22b-27
Responsorial Psalm: Psalm 84:3,4,5-6,12
Gospel: John 19:25-27 or Luke 2:33-35


Today’s Reflection:Then he said to the disciple, “Behold, your mother.” –John 19:26

I am a mom. From the day the little one was first put into my arms, I took on the title. As I eased into the garment of motherhood, I found that Mom is not just a title, nor a role. It became a part of who I am, my very identity, how I look at the world. It’s an amazing adventure with so many unexpected joys! Somehow no one had the courage to tell me, though, as Simeon told Mary, that simply by being a parent one opens up the heart to be pierced. There’s the usual difficulties of being a kid. A little teasing here. Someone’s campaign poster defaced there. Gossip hurts someone’s reputation. It breaks a mother’s heart a little. It gives me an ever increasing respect for the way that Mary stood by in Jesus’ life.

Her flesh and blood was misunderstood, mocked, humiliated, beaten, and eventually killed. And she stood with him in it all. At the foot of the cross she stood to minister to him in her quiet presence and in her tears. Did she lay her palm softly against the man’s foot that was once little and cupped in her hand? He acknowledged her there. His own flesh failing, he took her under consideration, handing her into the care of his disciple. And in turn, handing his precious mother on to all disciples. Here she is. See her grace. Model after her strength and dignity and love. Blessed, sainted mother Mary, teach me by your example how to withstand the heartbreaks of parenthood, and of living, and deliver only love in return.

Peace in Christ,
Michelle Vander Missen

No comments: