Monday, September 18, 2006

Bringing Home a New Baby





These pictures of Evan welcoming his new little brother Tyler arrived on Friday and I thought it would be fun to share them here. I'm having to get to know my new nephew via emailed photos - they reminded me of when we brought Adam home from the hospital almost 12 years ago.

I've shared with my sister that the night before Adam was born, I went into Eric's room to tuck him in and say prayers. I knew that my labor was being induced the next morning, and I suddenly had that panicky feeling - "Is there room enough in my heart to love a new baby as much as I love Eric? How will Eric cope?! His little world will be forever changed!"

Well, I was right - all of our worlds were changed by Adam's arrival on the scene. We never could have predicted the blessings that he would bring, or the best friend that he would become for his big brother.

Those first few weeks with a new baby are so hard. You're sleep deprived, hormonal and still expected to cope with all of your motherly duties for your pre-existing kiddos, who may be experiencing some adjustments of their own. "What?! Share my Mom?! Are you kidding me?!"

I don't have any words of wisdom for my sister - I can barely remember those first few weeks with Adam. When I look back at pictures of Eric holding Adam in those first days, he looks so little to me. I remember thinking at the time that he seemed absolutely huge in comparison to the new baby! Every day, I pray for Erin and other new Moms and their babies - for their good health, their peace of mind, and a few hours of uninterrupted sleep!

Here's an interested article on preparing your toddler for a new baby. If anyone else has any words of wisdom, feel free to pass them along. In the mean time, I'll be enjoying photos of my nephew Evan getting to know his new best friend, Tyler!

No comments: