Saturday, October 01, 2005

Why Feel Inferior??

This little pearl of wisdom landed in my e mailbox this morning and has me thinking:

Inspirational Thought of the Day

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
-Eleanor Roosevelt


I've been thinking to myself, "Do I feel inferior?" - Believe me, there have definitely been times when I've felt inferior, but somehow in the last few years those thoughts haven't played much of a role in my head.

Like everyone else, there are many things about myself that I'd like to change - bad habits, things I'd like to do better, stuff I'd love to learn - but I can't say that I've dwelt lately on feeling inferior. The last major inferiority complex I can remember followed my decision to become a "stay at home mom" (how many of those actually stay at home???), giving up a successful and lucrative career. That feeling of inferiority had something at its root: my job had become my identity and without that job, I wasn't sure what my true identity really was. Now, fourteen years lately, I still wonder that at times, but I'm not ever plagued that I made the wrong decision for my family. Any inferiority I might have felt in social situations was completely of my own making. And let me say that this is not a comment on the whole working vs. not-working thing - two of the world's best moms are my sisters, both of whom balance their vocation as mother and their careers ultra-successfully!

I've also had times of feeling physically inferior, perhaps due to weight issues or a lack of "style" - but maybe one of the blessings of being a forty-something is that a lot of that now feels unimportant.

I really think Eleanor was right on the whole inferiority thing...for me, my "goals" remain but I know that, as trite as it may sound, God made me just the way I am (big feet and all!) for His purpose. It's my job to ascertain that purpose and to make the most of each day, and dwelling on my shortcomings detracts from time better spent driving my boys, feeding my boys and doing all the other stuff that so totally fills each day. Sorry for the boring monologue, but I think I've worked this one out in my mind!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can I please skip my thirties and move right into my confident forties? Knowing what you all know now what would you say to a thirtysomething like myself who struggles with these inferiority issues and now has to tell my Protestant friends and family that I am pregnant with our fifth child?

Unknown said...

My dear anon,
Please do not ever wish away your thirties - I wish I had them back because I'd take more time to hold my babies, snuggle my toddlers, read to my preschoolers, sit and each lunch with my kindergartners, and not stress over so much of the small stuff.... if only I'd known then what I know now (how wise does that sound????) On the other topic - let them see your joy at a new family addition and don't worry what they say! Every baby is a blessing from God...congratulations my dear and I will pray for you and baby - for a safe and happy pregnancy! Do you every read Danielle Bean's blog? If not, get over there and visit. She'll make you feel great about number five!!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much. That was more helpful than you'll ever know. I just put on mascara and now it's running all over my face. Many blessings to you.

Anonymous said...

L, thanks for the compliment! But B. is the one who has it all figured out. I still struggle with the sacrafice E. has to make for Mommy's career. Love ya, E. (the other one)