Monday, July 02, 2007

Teaching Our Children Faith Fundamentals

One of my favorite online resources, To Teach from the USCCB, takes a look this month at refocusing on teaching our children the fundamentals of our Catholic faith. This excellent online newsletter offers suggestions for not only principals and teachers, but also for parents. We are, after all, our children's primary teachers!

One of the suggestions for parents I found particularly interesting was the suggestion that we take a look at the "age appropriateness" of the prayers we say with our children. I've found that to be a particular dilemma with the bed time prayer routine. During the summer, my boys frequently stay up later than I do - this disrupts the normal bedtime flow that is present during the school year. It was a sad day in my home a few years ago when I came to the realization that my boys had outgrown "Angel of God" and a bedtime story read to them by a snuggling mom. In fact, there are many evenings now when Adam tucks me into bed and we say prayers in my bed instead of near his!

Check out To Teach from the USCCB.

No comments: