Monday, July 09, 2007

Special Summer Moments

Clearly, I've been off having too much fun lately to be blogging! Sorry for that, but I am really trying to focus this summer on having as much time as possible with my boys. Now that Eric is almost sixteen and on the verge of driving, I have the sense that I'd better enjoy him as much as I can this summer. Next summer, he will likely be too busy for Mom!

This was a wonderful weekend. Friday afternoon, Adam accompanied me to fencing. We have a new saber coach, recruited from the Ukraine. This was my third foil fencing lesson. I continue to love it more every time I go. I tried to focus this week on employing a few techniques I had learned in my bouts, rather than just waving my foil around like a wild banshee. The result? I won one bout and lost the other. I am thinking of reverting to banshee mode next week...

On Friday evening, we took in Othello at our local Woodward Shakespeare Festival. I was wondering how Adam would fare, but the second the actors took to the stage waving swords around I knew we'd be ok! The boys loved the play so much that they are asking to see it again next week, and I may oblige. It's actually a wonderful thing: Shakespeare presented by local volunteers (many college students) under the stars and free of charge. They allow you to bring in food and drink and comfortable chairs. Once the raging heat cooled a bit after sunset, it was simply a magnificent evening.

On Saturday night, Greg and I took Eric to see Eva Scow, a local mandolinist who is simply incredible. The concert was at a local micro-brewery, causing Greg and I to joke with Eric that we are likely the only parents at his school who took our fifteen year old to a bar this weekend. Eva was amazing - she is so young and such an incredible performer! Eric had an opportunity to meet her after the concert and was slightly tongue tied, but managed to introduce himself and tell her he was learning to play too. A great night filled with wonderful music!

The music continued Sunday afternoon when we went to a local Celtic jam session. Held at a little outdoor cafe, the session meets every other Sunday and you're invited to bring your instrument and sit in. After a few tunes, Eric got up the courage to pull his waiting mandolin from the car and join in, strumming chords to the many tunes they played. Adam, on the other hand, kept his recorder playing skills to himself, preferring to quietly listen in. The jamming continued for two hours, at which time we had to drag Eric away to get to Mass.

Sunday evening's Mass was one of those "pinch me" moments in my spiritual life, when I stop to count my blessings. Greg was subbing for our vacationing music director, both boys were altar serving and I served as an EM. Although we were physically separated from one another during Mass, the closeness of our family ties swelled in my heart. I love my family!

Now it's Monday, and time to see what fun this week holds in store. I hope to share a few words here this week, but if I don't you can safely assume that I'm swimming, playing or just goofing off. I hope you're doing the same!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great weekend! Why didn't Adam go on Sat. night?? I didn't know there was a new instrument...Miss you< MOM