Friday, July 13, 2007

Litany of Saints

I enjoyed this article about the beautiful way in which Lady Bird Johnson was ushered into heaven by the prayers of her family and a priest.

On a related note, Heidi has a lovely piece at one of her blogs about thoughtful gestures we can make when supporting a friend who has lost a loved one. I'm sad to say that I don't have a "tradition" like Heidi's, but this article made me stop and think about the importance of reaching out to grieving friends. One of my best friends lost her husband a few years back to a tragic accident. She continues to need support and encouragement just to deal with day-to-day things that come up. Practical offers such as dinner invitations and babysitting help are so appreciated. Beyond those first few weeks of sadness when a widow is overwhelmed with cards, letters and loved ones, there is a lasting need to be thoughtful and helpful whenever possible for the long run. Thanks, Heidi, for the inspiration!

No comments: