Monday, June 25, 2007

Who's Your Mentor?

Last week, I was stewing over a situation that arose related to a writing project. I spent a good half a day mulling over a particular question, then lost sleep later that night when a conclusion had still not arisen.

The next day, I was speaking with my mother on the telephone, and happened to mention the situation. I told her of my uncertainty and of the stress it was causing me. Her immediate advice was actually the perfect solution to my dilemma. Separated from the emotion of the situation, she was able to quickly come up with a resolution that I should have arrived at on my own.

Ninety nine times out of a hundred, this is the case. I should know by now that when confronted with issues like this, I need to automatically ask myself "WWMD?" "What would Mom do?" - I will admit to not always heeding her counsel, but she always provides an informed perspective.

Interestingly, my Mom's mentorship extends beyond parenting issues. I find her advice particularly salient on professional matters as well. Part of what makes this mentor relationship so helpful is the inherent trust that already exists between us. I don't fear that sharing a weakness or a problem will cause my mentor to respect me less, so I open up completely with her. By not holding back details, I am able to give her a clear picture of what is truly going on in a situation.

I have different mentors for different facets of my life, but my mother tends to be my most consistent source of wisdom. Perhaps this is because her faith perspective is always at the core of the advice she gives, and because she has such a good and giving heart. Ultimately, she believes in me enough to tell me what she really thinks.

Do you have a mentor? That person may not even realize that he or she plays the adviser role for you. Ask yourself today who you trust to turn to when you need good advice or simply a listening ear and a clear point of view.

No comments: