Thursday, June 28, 2007

What's Your Organizational Secret?

At the Dumb Little Man this week, Leo Babuata offers "Seven Secrets of the Super Organized". As with most of the articles I read on this topic, I am left thinking:

"What's wrong with me! I know all of this stuff! Why not just do it?"

I enjoyed Leo's suggestion that in order to avoid being overwhelmed and frustrated at the start of trying to get yourself organized, you start slowly and in small steps. I think one of his best suggestions is "A Place for Everything". In 21 years of being married to my wonderful husband, I have never once known him to lose his keys. That is because they are always in one of three places - the ignition of his car, his pocket, or the special "key spot" in our bedroom. It's actually a little irritating to folks like me who like to be kept in suspense about the location of their car keys (kidding!).

One of my goals for the summer is to actually implement the many things I have read and learned about getting organized - that is going from reading about/writing about being organized to actually doing it!

2 comments:

NEo said...

excuse me for asking this, oh and hello,, why must you be so organised? maybe it might help u to sit down and realise why u need to be so well organised. u may find that the reason is to work better or have more free time, and my question is, does being more organised help with either of those?

part of life is being disorganised and working off the cuff, if u get me, so why worry too much? :)

Unknown said...

Neo, Thanks for your question! I agree with you about working better and having more free time - both of those sound great to me! Being organized helps me to do that - if I'm organized, my home runs well and my family is happy. If I'm unorganized, my kids end up eating too much drive through food, don't have clean clothes to wear and are late to school and their activities. I don't know if you're a mom, but if you are you realize that sometimes "working off the cuff" doesn't work when you're responsible for everyone else in your family. With respect to my own professional work, I agree with you that my goal should be to work intelligently and quickly so that I can prioritize playing with my husband and sons more! Thanks for your advice!