Monday, June 04, 2007

Rites of Passage

Watch out world! Eric passed his Driver's License permit test this afternoon, so one more teenage driver is about to hit the road.

For some reason, as a Mom, this feels like a huge deal to me. Greg and I both accompanied Eric to the DMV (Dad humored me, realizing that I was feeling emotional over the outing) and thank goodness we had an appointment scheduled. While Eric was in taking his written test, I contemplated the enormity of the moment. In six months, he will have the ability to drive on his own. My days of waiting for him in parking lots or talking over his day with him on the way home from school will be altered forever.

I'm sure Eric can't wait! I remember how excited I was to get my license...we went off to take the test the day I turned 16. Eric's process has been delayed (possibly intentionally) three months by a procrastinating mother. Now that he has his permit, the next phase is in the car driver's training. Our California law states that he can not legally drive a car, even with mom or dad, until he's had two hours of formal training with a certified instructor. So on Thursday, a man will show up at our house and Eric will drive away with him. He will return two hours later, and then Greg and I (definitely Greg!) will be able to take him out to practice. The reality of our lives is that Eric will probably do most of his training with me, since I'm the one who normally drives him everywhere. Please pray for my nerves and for the aid of my already-overworked guardian angel, and Eric's too!

I still remember dropping Eric off at pre-school and secretly longing for a little of the separation anxiety his classmates were exhibiting. Without a backwards glance, two and a half year old Eric strode into the classroom and dove right in. That's his personality - he has supreme self confidence and wants to experience all the world has to offer. If he's afraid or anxious, he rarely shows it. I believe he will be an excellent driver, but I admit to being relieved that it's still six months away. The practice time will give him time to learn the skills necessary to be safe on the road, and will be a good transition for a mom who's never quite ready to let go.

No comments: