Thursday, June 07, 2007

Prayers Please!

This is the site of my firstborn, driving out of my driveway for the very first time with his driver's training instructor. He has never been behind the wheel of a car (as far as I know) - I'm fairly sure he was as nervous as Mom and Dad were! The instructor seems good and competent. There's a brake on his side of the car, so that made feel a bit more secure.

I remember the first time Eric went for a walk on his on, and the first time he took an unsupervised bike ride. He was thrilled by the sense of independence and I was aching with nerves about what might happen to him. My feelings today are more a sense of awe that he's so very grown up, a bit of melancholy over the fact that this is yet another step towards his complete independence, and a happiness for him, that he is maturing into such a wonderful young man. Mix all of those feelings with a large amount of hope that traffic in my surrounding neighborhood will be light for the next two hours and devoid of any large trucks carrying flammable materials.

As I write this, it is 1:16 pm and Eric will return home from this training at 3:00. Let's hope we all survive!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Darling Lisa --- Let's hope that when he gets to the License Bureau that there are no crazies in the parking lot driving into other cars with the evaluator in the car --- Remember?/I do!
Love and Misses, Dad

Donna-Marie Cooper O'Boyle said...

Lisa,

How did it go?? I know how you feel, truly I do. But what is way worse is the first time a "child" leaves the driveway WITHOUT the driving teacher!

God bless!
Donna

Unknown said...

Daddy, SSSHHHH!

Donna, I'm trying not to think about that day!!! Thanks for putting things in perspective!
Lisa