Monday, June 04, 2007

Eight Things Meme

I normally don't "do" memes, but I was tagged for this one by my good cyber-buddy Donna-Marie Cooper O'Boyle. I've so enjoyed reading everyone else's answers that I thought I would share my own - maybe you'll learn a thing or two about me! Although, with as much as I share around here, very little is a secret!

Here are the rules of the meme: "For this meme, each player lists 8 facts/habits about themselves. The rules of the game are posted at the beginning before those facts/habits are listed. At the end of the post, the player then tags 8 people and posts their names, then goes to their blogs and leaves them a comment, letting them know that they have been tagged and asking them to read your blog."

1. My favorite job in the world is being a wife and mom! I have an undergrad degree from Notre Dame and a Master's degree from Vanderbilt and spent several years working in human resources before "retiring" in 1991 when Eric was born. I was a very career oriented person and was "definitely going back to work" after my kids were born. Somehow, once I took a look at Eric, all of that career motivation got placed on the back burner. I do lots of stuff now, but when people ask me "What do you do?" my first answer is always, "I'm a mom!" My professional role model and personal hero is my own Mom.

2. I'm the oldest of five. My four siblings are my best friends, along with my husband and my parents. If given a choice, I'd rather party with my mom and dad than anyone else I know. My family is the core of my being - we are spread all over the country, but our hearts couldn't be any closer. I think of them and pray for them numerous times each day.

3. The first time I tried to go out with the love of my life he turned me down. Greg and I just celebrated our 21st anniversary last week. When we were juniors at Notre Dame, I was introduced to him by mutual friends. I had an instant crush! I tried to get my roommates to fix me up with him for an upcoming dance, but he claimed he had other plans (I guess he actually did.) I was devastated, but got over it and went on to lead an active social life. A year later, he finally asked me out and the rest is history! I'm married to the man God always intended for me, and being married to him gets better every day. My only other not-so-secret crushes are the 1980's version of Tom Cruise and Dan Abrams.

4. I'm a Lifetime Member of Weight Watchers. Three years ago, I lost close to fifty pounds and have been working hard the past few years at keeping them off. I wear a size six now, but still visualize myself as a fourteen, probably because eating is so much fun! My favorite foods are Chicago style pizza, popcorn, ice cream and broccoli!

5. I love to read. I secretly would love to be the "Catholic Oprah" - it's not a deep desire to be a tv star, but rather the power she has to impact upon the best seller list that I envy. I'd love to tell everyone to read my favorite book by a Catholic author or listen to my favorite Catholic musician's new CD and have them run to Barnes and Noble to buy those items! I work as hard as I can to promote the wonderful work our Catholic artists are doing, but seem to have fallen tremendously short of "Oprah" status! But I'm going to keep trying!!!

6. My best (non-sister) girlfriend is Jewish. Fourteen years ago, I met Mara at a playgroup. I don't know if I'd ever really spoken in depth with a Jewish woman until that meeting. My upbringing was sooooo Catholic: Catholic grade school, high school at Mater Dei, and then four years at Notre Dame. A few years in Nashville for grad school taught me that not everyone is Catholic, but didn't prepare me for the joy and education of having an observant Jewish friend. I have learned so much from Mara in my relationship with her, not the least of which is an appreciation for the Jewish roots of our Catholic traditions. I am a better person thanks to this friendship, both emotionally and spiritually.

7. My favorite pastime is traveling. I love visiting new places and favorite spots. I love air travel, road trips, and camping. Maybe I'm part gypsy, because I really do think I could be content living out of my 23' trailer as long as I had my boys and my laptop along for the ride. I've traveled all over the United States thanks to the fact that my parents took us on amazing motor home trips growing up. Sadly, due to my hideous memory, I've forgotten many of those experiences. I spent time studying in France and the former Soviet Union and at one point was fairly fluent in French, Spanish and Russian. If given a choice I'd take a good trip over a pair of designer shoes any day!

8. I'm still learning about being a faith-filled Catholic and a better person every day. Each morning when I wake up, I pray in thanksgiving for all my day will hold, offering it in love to God for the many blessings in my life. I feel like I fall so short of being a good Christian in so many ways, but not for a lack of trying. I firmly believe that we can all change, that we can all become "the best versions of ourselves" (thank you Matthew Kelly!). I'm a long way from being the best version of myself, but each day is a treat trying to make an effort to get there. My relationship with Jesus is the most important one I will ever have. I strive daily to share my love for him with my family, my friends, and people I meet along life's path - not in a preachy kind of way, but in learning to spread love the way He did.

There, way more than you ever wanted to know about one crazy Catholic mom! If you're still reading this, feel free to share your own "meme" answers in the comments. I am too swamped to tag anyone and it looks like Donna-Marie and Heidi have already taken anyone I could have thought of!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Darling Lisa --- You make a proud parent costantly prouder to be your Dad. Love and Misses, Dad

Donna-Marie Cooper O'Boyle said...

Lisa,

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your Meme. Thank you for playing along when you are so busy...I hope you won't "hold it against me" that I tagged you! :) Thanks for sharing about yourself...you definitely are a friend that I am so thankful for! God is good! God is amazing and so are you!

God bless your day and your summer ahead.

Love, Donna

Unknown said...

Donna,
Far from "holding it against you" I thank you for the opportunity!
Lisa