Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Calling All Catholic Writers

Do you know what you're doing next May 29 - 30? I do! Why don't you join me and some of you Catholic Mom friends for the first annual RTBE Catholic Writers Conference in Chicago?! This wonderful initiative is being spearheaded by the talent Heidi Hess Saxton of Canticle Magazine. Heidi has all of the initial details at her blog, but I want to personally persuade as many of you as possible to try to take part in and support this event.

If you're like me, you may be saying, "Well, I'm not really a real writer: I've never published a book, so I probably am not qualified to attend."

This was my reaction a few years ago when I was able to attend a Catholic Writers Conference that used to be held here in California at Thomas Aquinas College. In fact, as Greg was dropping me off at the event I nearly chickened out! I felt like a total impostor, due to my lack of credentials. Well, needless to say, within five minutes of arriving I was thrilled I'd made the decision to attend. The opportunity to learn and to network with other Catholic writers whom I'd admired from afar was well worth the expense, the effort, and the case of nerves I had to face.

I still don't consider myself a "real" writer, but I'm committed to attending and to helping in the promotion and coordination of this greatly needed resource. Please visit Heidi's blog to view the preliminary details and to voice your support. I want a bunch of my Catholic Mom cyber buddies to be on board for this - what a thrill it would be to meet many of you in person!

No comments: