Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Back from the Beach

In case you haven't noticed, I've slipped into "summer mode" here at the blog. Posts may be sporadic for the next few months, as I'm prioritizing time with my boys this summer.

We had a wonderful weekend at the coast. For those not acquainted with the weather here in Fresno, summer means HOT! Today, it will be a cool 96 degrees and my eldest will be running around playing football in the height of the heat. Tomorrow, we expect 102. For that reason, Fresnans frequently flee to the cool sea air of the central coast whenever possible. This was our first camping adventure to Pismo Beach. It was a resounding success. The campground (Pismo Coast Village) was a bit crowded (probably with people from Fresno), but our site had great beach access. We took full advantage of it with super long walks on the beach at every possible opportunity. I also spent a few hours Saturday afternoon, in the ocean, boogie boarding. For some strange reason, my teenage boys didn't want to be seen near their 43 (for a few more days) year old mother, frolicking in the waves in a wet suit!

There is something so invigorating about swimming in the ocean - it is a pure adrenaline rush. The water was so cold that it stung my toes until I got used to it, tingling my senses. The waves were big enough to ride, but not so huge that you feel unsafe. As I was looking for the perfect wave for my last ride in on Saturday, floating around, legs dangling and hair a tangled mess, I had one of those "God is so awesome!" moments. They come frequently in my life, but particularly when I'm out in nature. Who else but God could have created such ultimate beauty, power and majesty? Who else but God could have created each of us, unique in our own humanity, to enjoy this lovely world to it's fullest? He is truly awesome!

I chose the photo above to share here because it truly symbolizes my boys right now. If you look carefully, you will see two set of legs even though you mainly see Eric in this photo. My boys are so close this summer. They spent much of their weekend, just like this, walking along the beach in deep conversation. Greg and I are rarely privy to these conversations, so I can't report on what they were talking about, although I have my guesses. I thank God daily for the fact that they have one another - a lifelong friend who will always care for and support them. Since I have this gift with my own siblings, I know it to be a treasure both great and rare.

We're back home now, which is good, but already longing for our next adventure! And watch out, this Mom is threatening to learn to surf next!

2 comments:

Pat Gohn said...

Great picture of your sons, Lisa!

I loved your description of the same. I'm off on my own family adventure, too! Thanks for sharing yours!

Pat

Anonymous said...

Darling Lisa --- This brings back an abundance of happy memories, with you and your sisters and brothers inserted into the picture. Your recognition of God's authorship is profound. Love and Misses, Dad