Thursday, May 24, 2007

Being a Person of Excellence

This morning, I was sitting in a Weight Watchers meeting when I heard I line which really impacted me: "I want to be a person of excellence!"

The speaker was my WW leader, a very motivational person. I've known her for over four years as a part of my weight loss journey, so I often have my radar tuned in for the little gems she shares with us. I continue to attend WW meetings as a Lifetime Member because it helps me to stay on track in many areas of my life beyond just weight.

Teri challenged us: "Do you want to be a person of excellence? Do you believe you can make the changes necessary in life to become that person?" Our group responded with a resounding "yes" to the first question and a sort of half hearted mumble to the second. Of course we all want to be "excellent", but do we have what it takes to make the hard choices to overcome that which separates us from excellence?

I had to stop and ask myself, what does being a "person of excellence" look like for me, in all aspects of my life? Without having a goal or a concept of what that looks like, it's pretty tough to come up with a cohesive plan for how to get there! What does spiritual excellence look like? Or familial excellence, relational excellence, financial or physical excellence? How often do I settle for "just alright" as opposed to striving for true excellence? Pretty often, I'm sad to say.

Teri gave me a kick in the behind this morning to begin to re-examine my own journey towards becoming a "person of excellence". It's not a short trip, but thanks be to God it's one each of us can make. Let today be our continuation of that journey, or our start if it's a trip we're just beginning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting! Might try weightwatchers myself!


God bless

Unknown said...

Jackie,
I think WW is the best! The concepts we discuss are frequently applicable to many other areas of my life. The cost is a consideration, but once you achieve Lifetime it is free. Personally, for me, it's one of the best investments I've made in myself and my health, both physical and mental.