Thursday, April 26, 2007

Peace in the Pews

If someone could bottle a remedy for toddlers who act up in church, the could make a fortune. I think it would sell even more than those pills that help you to lose weight while you're sleeping. Just about every weekend, I receive at least one email from a mom who is at wit's end over the behavior of a two or three year old child. I know when my kids were that age I thought they would never learn to behave in Mass.

This week, I read one of the best articles on this topic that I can ever remember seeing. Peace in the Pews by James Hahn over at Real Life Rosary is a must read on this topic. Jim is the dad of four busy boys - if he and his wife can do it, so can you and I! I would say that each family has to look at what works for them - the Hahn rules may not work for every family, but they are a good model of what one family is doing. The main thing I tell moms who write me is...

Don't give up on taking your kid to church!!!

and

I will keep you and your child in my prayers!

I don't know if my prayers will help at all, but I always try to pray for the moms of toddlers I see in church and to offer them praise and encouragement for bringing these little ones to Mass. It can be so incredibly frustrating, but these little ones are the future of our Church.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As a parent, you always have to find what works for you, and I agree, don't stop taking the kids to church because it may be difficult.I have three grown sons, 22,19,16 and have moved through those toddler years of trying to make it through mass.
I read the article that you provide a link to and I have two differences of opinion that provide a chance for parents to pick what works for them. Our family always sat in the body of the church, not only did I welcome the smiling face that would sometimes distract my sons, I feel it teaches them about being welcoming and about God's love coming to them from others. Even though my sons are now grown I still share memories with other parishioners who watched them grow into fine young men. I believe, seeing the young church is really important to older parishioners.It is a gift that our little ones bring to the Body of Christ.
Also, as parents, sometimes, we do not take the time to sit and embrace our children. The fidgety child was always welcomed onto a parent's lap for encouragement and a hug. I believe it teaches God's love in action, in a way that they can really feel.There are many ways to show our children our Faith and it's importance. The important thing, as you said, is to not give up taking them!