Thursday, April 26, 2007

Literary News

The past few weeks have been so filled with great stuff that I neglected to share here about a couple of wonderful books I've highlighted at CatholicMom.com lately.

Awaiting Orders by Farrell O'Gorman (OK...don't you just love that name?) is the April fiction book club pick at CatholicMom.com. I had the pleasure of interviewing Farrell, who is a professor of American Literature at Mississippi State University. Awaiting Orders is one of my most favorite books of this year. Please take a few moments when you have time to read my interview with Farrell and check out Awaiting Orders if you're looking for a great, moving work of fiction.

In other book news, I have just posted my review of The Green Coat: A Tale from the Dust Bowl Years by Rosemary McDunn. Rosemary's book would be wonderful for readers from fifth through eighth graders and the grown ups in their lives. A work of historical fiction, the book shares the story of young Tressa, whose world is turned upside down by the circumstances her family finds themselves facing in their 1930's North Dakota home. If you loved the Little House books, this is a great book for you! I will admit to knowing absolutely nothing about the Dust Bowl Years. Rosemary's book intrigued me so greatly that I actually went and did additional research about this era in our country's history. The combination of learning and a great story is what makes this book a real winner. Read my review of The Green Coat and recommend this book to your child's teacher today!

No comments: