Monday, April 02, 2007

A Celebration of Life

When I grow up, I want to be just like my Grandma! Having just returned from a weeklong celebration of Grandma's life, I am remembering her many wonderful traits and the sweetness of her personality. To those of you who sent wishes and said prayers for me during the past several days, thank you - they were surely with me as I traveled to be with my family for Grandma's funeral. At some later date, maybe I will share some of the details in this space, but for now I just want to savor the feelings of love and warmth that I brought home from Indiana with me.

My Grandma Patty was a remarkable woman. The matriarch of a huge clan, she was able to make each of us feel uniquely close to her in our own ways. Her funeral rites were a huge gathering of those who loved her most - her beloved husband of 67 years, her children, and oodles of grandchildren and great grandchildren. Grandma, who was happiest when she held a baby in her arms or spent time in the company of her sons and daughters, surely wore a lovely smile as she watched down from heaven. Since I've heard the stories about my Daddy as a young kid, I'm pretty sure Grandma was able to bypass any purgatory time for all of the loving patience with which she mothered her family.

We gathered on Wednesday at the funeral home for her viewing, reciting the Rosary and the Divine Mercy chaplet as she so often did during her own life. She and my Grandpa were daily communicants - their faith community, neighbors, and friends came out in droves to bid goodbye to Grandma. For five hours, we welcomed so many people who spoke so lovingly of Grandma that it made my head turn.

On Thursday, we gathered in the Cathedral where Grandma received every Sacrament of her life. In his eulogy, a "love letter" from Grandma to those of us gathered in the church, my Daddy paid such a loving tribute to his mother. As I sat looking around at all of us gathered out of love for Grandma, I thought about how well she had lived her life. I hope that someday when my days here are done, I will have loved even half as well as Grandma did...that would really be something!

I always regretted that the geographic distance between my grandparents and I was so great, but I never for a moment doubted the love and affection of my Grandma. We shared some very special memories during the course of my life.

I will remember my Grandma always for the greatest lessons she taught me - that faith is meant to be lived out every day, in every way and that the gift of family is truly the greatest blessing life has to offer.

1 comment:

Alice Gunther said...

I am so touched by this tribute, Lisa, and I will pray for your beautiful grandmother. This quote from your post struck me:

"We gathered on Wednesday at the funeral home for her viewing, reciting the Rosary and the Divine Mercy chaplet as she so often did during her own life. She and my Grandpa were daily communicants . . . . "

This just says it all about her life well lived. She has given the world a gift in her precious and faithful family. She must have been so proud of you.

I am going to offer special prayers for your grandfather. He must be missing her terribly. Prayers for you as well.