Monday, March 19, 2007

If it's Monday, I'm thinking about health and wellness. I'm planning meals for the week, allotting time for workouts, and general trying to take care of the body God gave me.

I've been hearing again lately about the "10,000 steps program" - the idea is that in order to meet the Surgeon General's recommendations for healthy exercise levels, we should strive to walk at least 10,000 steps most days of the week. I consider myself to be a fairly active person. I exercise at least three times per week at the gym and love taking walks. So I was relatively sure that I feel into the 10,000 step crowd, but wasn't sure.

Last week, while shopping in Target, I picked up an inexpensive pedometer for less than $6. I decided the first few days to just put on the pedometer and go about my normal schedule in order to see how I was doing.

I was pretty shocked with the results. I think, like most moms, I hit the ground running (or at least fast walking) from the minute I get out of bed in the morning. However, I've learned that being busy doesn't equate to being physically active. Much of my busy time is spent at the computer (sitting) or driving people places (sitting). One of the days, my pedometer measured less than 4,000 steps and I was truly surprised.

Sporting a pedometer has a wonderful, motivational effect on me. After those first few days of "observation", I kicked into gear. I'm now looking for opportunities throughout the day to walk and be more physically active. I love the immediate gratification of being able to look down at the pedometer and get feedback on my progress. I consider the $6 to have been a good investment. I'm not sure how long I will continue to wear the pedometer, but for now it is serving as a wonderful reminder to take greater care of my health and well being.

For more information on 10,000 steps visit these sites:

* PBS - America's Walking
* Shape Up America
* Walking at About.com


No comments: