Saturday, January 06, 2007

Last Weekend of Fun

My boys head back to school on Monday, so life will be back to the routine - driving, feeding, practices, lessons, homework and all of that fun. We've been spending the past few days goofing off, and we intend to continue doing so all weekend. Blogging has been light, and will continue that way until Monday morning. I expect to have a case of the blues- I always dread sending my boys back to school.

Yesterday, however, was a good reminder of why I can't homeschool. Adam and I are working on a science project he has for some extra credit. It involves growing a "crystal garden". Yesterday morning found the two of us huddled around the sink and stove, boiling and disintergrating minerals. There were measuring spoons, a kitchen scale, and rubber gloves involved. There was also a big mess, three spills and a spider carcass which accidentally fell into one of our solutions. We decided to leave the spider in the solution - Adam thought it would add some "coolness" and an added scientific effect to the experiment. The back of my sink is now covered with four containers, each holding a rock and a gooey liquid "solution". We do not, as yet, see any sign of crystals forming. Granted, it has not yet been 24 hours, but I'm anxious for science to begin occuring! Did I mention that I'm terrible at science? Dad, the doctor, truly should have been the one to oversee this process, but alas he was at work. Besides, he likely would have suggested removal of the dead spider.

If we homeschooled, we'd probably do all literature and writing and zero math and science. We'd likely stay in our PJs every day until noon, and we'd probably take too many video game breaks while mom/teacher checked her emails.

I'm not sure if we're going to get any crystals or gardens out of the goo, but we did have a fun time together yesterday morning. Stay tuned, and I'll let you know what happens!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

PJs 'til noon, crystal goo, debate on the dead spider being removed, mother-son bonding time... sounds like an ideal homeschool day to me!

And if you are really so adverse to science and math, there are homschool classes for both. My local nature center puts on an awesome homsechool science program for every grade level. The kids beg to go to it. I myself love science and do it all the time. I send my daugther to homeschool art at the local craft store; otherwise she'd never get to cut and paste, much less paint or sculpt. The class is geared to homeschoolers and my daughter loves it. That's what's cool about homeschooling--that individual education plan. In our house, it typically includes PJs until 11. (We don't quite have the luxury of noon.) Now for that crystal growing kit my 5 year old begged for (and received from doting grandparents for Christmas)... I needed an excuse to be gooey this week! Let us know how yours turn out.

Suzelle said...

I am right there with ya on the math and science thing Lisa !!!

That spider is creepy :)