Sunday, December 10, 2006

They're Amazing

Sometimes you want to hit the "pause" button on life just to savor it's awesomeness - yesterday was one of those days for me. It really was just a normal day, but somehow my boys seemed even more wonderful than usual to me.

It was a big day for Adam - my sixth grader slept in until almost ten, and probably would have kept going if he hadn't been rudely awakened. Mom was the alarm, because Adam had a big test to take. He has been invited to test for a special summer program for talented students, a summer camp of sorts. Eric went three years ago - his brother would like to follow those footsteps, so off he went to take the test. Eric's test three years ago was your typical "fill in the bubble" version, but technology has advanced since then. Adam had to go to our local "Prometrics Center" where tests are given on the computer. My twelve year old marched in, registered himself, and sat down amidst electricians and medical professionals at a bank of computers to take his test. I watched some heads turn as he walked in the room, but he didn't seem to notice. He emerged after the test with a grin on his face, asking for Orange Chicken from Panda Express. He had done his best, given it his all, and was ready to move on. We'll see how things go, but in that moment I was incredibly proud of my son.

Eric, who is now solidly fifteen, spent the day with me. First he voluntarily helped me decorate the Christmas tree. Maybe this is typical for some of you, but for the past few years my sons haven't been too interested in decorating our tree. They've been known to join me for a few moments and then move on to other pursuits. Yesterday, Eric stayed until the very last ornament was placed. He asked about several of the handmade ornaments and laughed with me at our picture ornaments with their baby and preschool photos. Moms of toddlers should know that when a child helps you decorate a tree, you don't get that "Martha Stuart" effect - what you get are clumps of ornaments, especially on the lower portions of the tree. Perhaps not surprisingly, the clumps have moved a little higher up the tree (he's now taller than I am). I appreciate Eric's sharing this moment with me so much that I will likely leave them intact - he's old enough to notice if I start moving things around. Sometimes I wish for the Norman Rockwell type moment with our entire family gathered around the tree, decorating together - but I'll take what I had yesterday...a fifteen year old and his mom, with Led Zepplin and Santana playing in the background.

After decorating, Eric and I went off to the mall, but not to shop. In the car, we started listening to a CD Eric's been pestering me to listen to with him. He has joined me in becoming an avid podcast junkie, and has recently discovered a podcast version of Plato's Republic. I'm pretty sure that if I ever read it, it was only the Cliff Note version, so I told Eric I'd be happy to listen with him. We're midway through Chapter 1, and it's actually a very enjoyable listen. The narrator does an excellent job. As we pulled into the crowded mall parking lot, I reflected to myself that most of the fifteen year olds in that lot were probably listening to hip hop rather than philosophy. I gave my son a squeeze and said a silent "Thank You" to God for the blessing of my children. Eric went off to his mission - two hours of bell ringing for the Salvation Army. His student government friends decided to commit all day Saturday to this project, so Eric spent his afternoon at the kettle. loudly clanging away on his bell. When his shift was over, I took him to the food court for something to eat. "Do you have some money I can borrow Mom?" he asked. I rarely have cash, but I told him he could have the change from the sandwich we'd just bought. We'd passed three SA bell ringers on the way to buy his food. Backtracking to the car, he put an identical amount (down to the penny) in each kettle as we passed them. "It's not the amount of money that matters Mom - I was so grateful any time someone would stop, no matter how much money they donated." I think he learned a big lesson in his two hours with the bell - if each of us does a little to help those around us, the results can be wonderful.

My boys are amazing every day - they are precious gifts from God. It's up to me to stop, notice, and say thank you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your boys are so good because they are blessed to have a WONDERFUL Mom - Love you...MOM