Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Recital Report

Every once in a while, every grown up should be forced to do something that makes you so nervous that your heart pounds, your palms sweat and your fingers tremble.

It's just not a great idea to play a violin in that condition...

Seriously, the recital was very fun. Thank goodness for my accompanist Eric, whose stellar guitar playing covered my mistakes well enough to make my "performance" better than I would have been solo. I was the only one to have accompaniment, thanks to the fact that I have my own posse of musicians at home. Eric and I played "Liberty" and then I performed "Ashokan's Farewell" with my quartet. The quartet performance was a breeze and so fun - definitely easier than standing up there alone.

I need to work on my "stage presence" a bit to lose that jittery feeling. I tried to do the old "Marcia Brady" trick of imagining the audience in their underwear, but alas, I was still very nervous. Maybe next time (if I subject myself to this again), it will be easier. We do have a video that Adam recorded, so if I'm feeling truly self-deprecating perhaps I will post it here later.

At the end of the evening, Patrick (my music teacher) thanked the parents for providing lessons for their children and for encouraging their practice and dedication. I thanked my boys for listening to and bearing with a mom who dreams to learn something really hard even though she's too old and a tad tone deaf. Patrick's closing statement made me pause and think about why I am willing to invest the time and effort into my fiddle lessons:

"We come here to learn about more than just music."

What have you learned this week? I've learned that I frequently ask my children to do things that greatly challenge them, and that I need to remember how tough that is. I've also learned that chasing dreams is worth the effort!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you were great! Did you have any of your fans with you??? I can't wait for the video. Love you MOM

Anonymous said...

Lisa,
I think you can improve your stage presence by just relaxing and relying on your intelligence and talent to carry you through. I used to not like talking in front of crowds and realized I needed a strategy. In lieu of the imagining everyone in their underwear trick, I told myself that when I was giving a talk to clients, classmates, whoever, I didn't need to be nervous because I was prepared and new more about what I was talking about than everyone else in the room. Even if it's true, I find that if you do or say something with enough confidence, everyone will buy into it. I'm sure it's not exactly the same with performing music, but I know you and know that in addition to talent, you have a great desire to do well. Because of that desire, you prepare a great deal. So I think it might work for you for future recitals to remember that you've been practicing really hard and that you can play the piece your about to do better than anyone else in the room if they had to come up and play it on the spot. Also, a shot of tequila never hurt anyone.

Anonymous said...

Also, it helps if you know how to spell the word "knew"...I'm an idiot. And I meant "even if it's not true" not "even if it's true." Finally, "you're" not "your." Ok, lesson #2 on good presence, proofread and/or don't re-read after you publish your comments.