Friday, November 03, 2006

Topsy Turvy

Life is what happens to you while you’re busy making other plans.
John Lennon

It's been another one of those wonderful weeks - the kind that skid by so quickly that you barely have a moment to breath and recollect. Today, in particular, was filled with fluid, moment-by-moment changes that sometimes drive me a little crazy.

Each week, on Monday, I spend about an hour having "table time" - a session at my kitchen table where I inventory mail, pay bills, balance the checkbook, look over the week's agenda, and generally try to obtain some semblance of ordered chaos in my life. Each morning, I consult our family calendar and lay out a general gameplan for the day. My planning incorporates the minutia that fills many moms' minds: who needs to be where, when, and in what clothing; what will I feed everyone and when; what "business" do I need to take care of throughout the day; and the like.

This week has been one of scattered and broken plans. We've had a few major shifts, evolutions, fractures and bloopers since Monday. For a control freak like me, living life on the fly and rolling with the punches of a goofed up schedule can be stressful. But rather than reacting with panic and anxiety, I am trying to react with patience, acceptance and flexibility. We have one major situation that is in flux right now, and until it is resolved I will continue to feel unsettled. But I've already prayed for the right answer and I know that God, in His goodness and according to His plan (not mine) will provide direction for the path that needs to be taken.

These types of weeks are good for me (as long as they only occur every once in a while...) since they help me to recognize the blessings of each moment of each day, even if they didn't turn out the way I'd originally planned them!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is the sort of week that God lets you know...who is really in control...Love MOM

Alice Gunther said...

Praying for you, and joining you in trusting that God will provide direction all your needs.

Long-Skirts said...

You're doing fine, Lisa, just always thank Him like me...

I’LL GIVE YOU THANKS
Thank you for
The swing set.
Thank you for
The sky.

Thank you for
The bushes
They played in
By and by.

Thank you for
The hammock.
Thank you for
The tree.

Thank you for
The piles and piles
Of stubborn stained
Laundry.

Thank you for
Ten children.
Horrific, birthing
Pain.

Thank you for
The people,
Who said
I was insane.

Thank you for
The doctor.
Thank you for
The nurse.

Thank you for
My mother dear
Who put on
Me a curse!

Thank you for
My life,
Though I’m no
Who of Who’s…

But Lord
Don’t ya think,
It’s time
I get a cruise?!