Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Getting College Connected

Today was my second day to volunteer in the College Connection office at Eric's high school. As a freshman parent, I'm looking for opportunities to get to know people at his school and it seemed like a great place to help out students and learn a lot that will benefit my son.

One of the major hurdles I have to cross is accepting that not all students simply want to attend the University of Notre Dame. It seems like a slam-dunk decision to me, but believe it or not there are even some who would rather go to USC! I'm finding that I have to curb my enthusiasm about the Irish! No, really, it's going to be a great way to help expose our family to other possible college options.

I am learning that Freshman year is the perfect time for Eric to start exploring and learning about colleges. If you have a student in high school, one of the best resources seems to be CollegeBoard.com - Eric is already registered and getting regular reminder emails from them. I know these next four years will fly by in the blink of an eye, and I want to help Eric make the most of his future opportunities.

For those parents of teens, how are you helping your child prepare for his or her future education?

No comments: