Monday, November 27, 2006

Do You Vote?

My local Fresno book club just completed our discussion of our November book pick, The Vote by Sybil Downing. We selected the book as our November pick in anticipation of the recently passed elections, owing to the fact that the book is a fictionalized look at the events leading to the passage of the 19th Amendment, the Susan B. Anthony Amendment, which states:

Section 1. The right of the citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex.
Section 2. Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.


The Vote is an interesting read, fast paced with a great story and compelling characters. Having its basis in historical events, it is however a novel. I learned quite a lot about the Suffragist movement by reading the book (I'm embarrassed to say I've taken my right to vote for granted and had never really known much about the movement). I've always been a committed voter, dragging my children to the polls with me and studying prior to voting. I only recently stopped taking Eric and Adam into the booth with me, as I fear they would be arguing with me about my selections. Reading this book has underscored for me the importance of exercising my right to vote responsibly, and never taking it for granted. I do believe my vote, my voice, counts. If you don't vote because you find it inconvenient or inconsequential, I challenge you to read The Vote and see if you change your mind.


No comments: