Monday, October 09, 2006

Nick's Bar Mitzvah

This weekend, our family celebrated a very special occasion: the Bar Mitzvah of our friend Nick. Nick's mother, Mara, is one of my very closest friends. Our friendship dates back to "playgroup" days when we stood next to each other pushing Nick and Eric together in swings, discussing the finer points of teething, sleep schedules and solid foods.

Nick worked so diligently in preparation for his big day. This was our first opportunity to attend a Bar Mitzvah, and quite honestly I didn't really know what to expect. I had in mind something akin to a Confirmation or a Quinceanera, but mostly in Hebrew. The ceremony was so special! Nick's diligent preparation for this rite of passage was apparent. As he stood chanting his Torah portion in Hebrew flawlessly, I thought about the gift of his family's friendship in our life. I've known Nick since before he could walk. So to see this fine young man leading the ceremony brought tears of pride and gratitude.

My friend Mara has worked for a months in anticipation of her son's big day. All of her efforts paid off, as every detail seemed perfect. One of the highlights of Nick's ceremony was the wonderful music led by cantor Julie Silver One of my favorite songs of the day was a beautiful tune entitled "Count Me In", which talks about the journey to Bar Mitzvah. It speaks eloquently about our children's growth into mature, accountable members of our spiritual communities. Nick's journey to become a "Son of the Commandment" has prepared him to live out his faith and to share it with others through love and service.

Surely, Nick was buoyed by the many family members and friends who gathered to witness his special day. He seemed not a bit nervous as he preached about the meaning of his Torah portion dealing with the Jewish holiday of Sukkot, the harvest festival of thanksgiving, which we celebrate in this season. Watching my dear friend embrace her son, a Jewish man now, reminded me again of the tremendous value of sharing our faith with our children. Nick's father, while not Jewish, has been supportive of his spiritual development. But the true rock behind Nick's faith formation has been his Mom, my friend Mara. I know that at times Mara has felt lonely and frustrated in this role and that it has been a challenge for her. But on Saturday, embracing her son as he enters this new phase of his spiritual life, I know Mara was glowing with pride and realizing that all of her hard work was well spent.

Mazel-tof Nick! We are very proud of you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What an awesome day to be a part of! My nephew decided against a bar mitzvah. He really doesn't like to get up in front of people.
My niece is ready for hers next year. We are already planning to be there for her.

I have been able to attend a couple of services with them. I am always very touched to be in the house of my "spiritual big brother".