Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Joyful Noise

My ears are ringing, and it's not from the aftereffects of last night's fireworks.

It's official - I am the mother of a drummer.

Perhaps given his affinity for sticks, it's not surprising that Adam would decide to take up the drums. He had his first lesson Monday and has been busily practicing ever since. The new drum set has taken up residence in the Music Room in a spot of honor. Adam came home from the first lesson with a simple page of sheetmusic covered in handwritten rhythms - to me, it looked pretty unintelligible. I said, "Do you know what this means?" (Inferring, "Did you really learn to read notes after only one thirty minute lesson?")

"Sure Mom, do you want to hear it?"

Of course I did, and I've been listening to it ever since - it's getting faster and louder with every playing!

Husband and #1 son tell me that this basic drum rhythm is played behind lots of popular songs. They're thrilled with Adam's progress toward being the totally excellent drummer dude for the family band. I'm happy too, but have started to worry about some practical considerations such as hearing loss and neighborly relations.

I wonder if Phil Collins' mom ever stressed out about what the people across the street were thinking?

All in all, in his three day career as a drummer, Adam's made amazing progress - but most of all, he's having a blast! Lots of practice is a good thing when you're falling in love with your instrument. It's such a joy to watch my children learn new things, even if they are a bit loud...it's better than the sound of video games!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is GREAT!! I can't wait to hear & see Adam with his drums...Maybe it's time for the Padded Walls to go up in the music room...MOM