Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Joy Ride to Seal Beach

When I die, if I am lucky enough to get one big toe into heaven, I won't be at all surprised if I find out that God has an Irish accent.

What makes me say this? Well, this weekend I had the opportunity to spend some time with one of my most favorite people, my childhood pastor Fr. Michael Collins, on the occasion of his 88th birthday. If I had to choose the holiest person I know, Fr. Collins would win hands down. That's a fairly bold statement, since he's in a horse race with my parents, two saintly grandmothers and a whole bunch of Catholic School Teachers. What sets Father aside though is his attitude - the ability with which he lives a life that is at once reverent and filled with fun.

I've known Father Collins since before I can remember. The problem with having such a beloved priest growing up is that he's set a fairly unattainable benchmark for every other pastor I've known since I was five. None compare, and it's for this reason that I felt it necessary to make the nine hour round trip on Sunday to be in attendance at Father's birthday party.

I arrived in Seal Beach about ten minutes before the commencement of the noon Mass, which Father Collins was scheduled to celebrate. When I caught sight of him laying aside his walking cane and being helped into his vestments, my heart caught in my throat. Was this my burly Irish pastor, former rugby star and volleyball terror?! I haven't seen Father for a few years, so I was emotionally unprepared for the frailty I was witnessing.

However, as soon as Father opened his mouth to begin Mass, I breathed a sigh of relief. There was that voice, that lovely, lilting Irish brogue, voicing the opening prayer of the Mass in a style that took me back to my schoolgirl days. Father Collins doesn't "say" Mass - he celebrates it. For me, attending one of Father's masses never ceases to lift me up, to polish any dullness that may have accumulated on my spiritual life, to make me feel loved and cherished by my God.

There were a few physical changes in this great man. He delivered his homily and distributed the Eucharist from a seated position. I did note, to my amazement, that he took his glasses OFF to read - those 88 year old Irish eyes are still smiling! But the homily he delivered was, as always, filled with a wit and a perspective that smacked me right in the heart. Father Collins has always been able to succinctly relate the scripture to everyday life, complete with one liners that you won't soon forget. Sunday's most memorable line for me was Father's simple prayer, recently authored by him, in keeping with the theme of driving envy and jealousy from our hearts:

"Jesus and Mary, get this trash out of my mind, once and for all. Amen"

Delivered with an Irish accent, it seems like the perfect prescription for some of the mindgames I play with myself.

Following Mass, we had a wonderful party filled with countless FOF - Friends of Father! Those present ranged in age over several generations - wheelchair ridden widows, appreciative kids of baby boomers, and three year olds who still love to play with Father's pet pocket mouse "Oscar" just like I did when I was little. We had a sing-along to a few of Father's favorite Irish tunes, and my own personal favorite: Rise and Shine.

On the long ride home, I said a prayer of thanksgiving for this wonderful man, who introduced me to my faith long before I could know or appreciate it fully. His voice, the one that taught and nurtured in me a love for a God who will never leave me alone, is the voice I frequently hear in my head in my private conversations with God.

At Mass, we sang one of Father's favorite songs - it's even more perfect now as I watch Father enter his twilight years:

Just A Closer Walk With Thee

I am weak, but Thou art strong;
Jesus, keep me from all wrong;
I'll be satisfied as long
As I walk, let me walk close to Thee.

Just a closer walk with Thee,
Grant it, Jesus, is my plea,
Daily walking close to Thee,
Let it be, dear Lord, let it be.

Through this world of toil and snares,
If I falter, Lord, who cares?
Who with me my burden shares?
None but Thee, dear Lord, none but Thee.

Just a closer walk with Thee,
Grant it, Jesus, is my plea,
Daily walking close to Thee,
Let it be, dear Lord, let it be.

When my feeble life is o'er,
Time for me will be no more;
Guide me gently, safely o'er
To Thy kingdom shore, to Thy shore.

Just a closer walk with Thee,
Grant it, Jesus, is my plea,
Daily walking close to Thee,
Let it be, dear Lord, let it be.


Thank you Father, for inspiring me in my own walk with Jesus! I can't wait to celebrate your 89th!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For your readers who are unaware of the book, I highly recommend the excellent biography of Father Collins that you wrote and published. It is my all time favorite book. Love and Misses, Dad