Thursday, July 06, 2006

Getting Ready for Sunday

One of the most popular features over at CatholicMom.com is our weekly Gospel activities. I've just finished posting this week's stuff, so head over and check it out. Initially, we just had a weekly coloring page related to the Sunday gospel. Now, I'm happy to offer weekly word search and crossword puzzles, as well as the popular Mass Worksheet feature prepared by Elyse Wilson. For a few years now, these have been a popular part of my web site. I benefit greatly each week from studying Sunday's gospel in my preparation of these pages. By the time I've created the puzzles, come up with a coloring page, and formatted Elyse's worksheet, I've read the Gospel through several times. When I sit in Mass on Sunday morning, my heart reflects back to this preparation, and I hear the Gospel message with great joy and anticipation.

One of my favorite resources for preparing for Sunday's liturgy is the website of Dr. Marcellino D'Ambrosio, who always has a great message related to the Sunday gospel. If you're a podcast listener, you can take in his weekly message on Catholic Exchange's weekly show with John Morales.

I've also had some emails lately requesting recommendations for books for Children's Liturgy of the Word. You'll find my favorites listed here - scroll down the page a bit and you'll find them. Remember, if you purchase your books at Amazon or Catholic Company via my CatholicMom.com links, you make a small donation towards the upkeep of the site, which is greatly appreciated.

While it may seem as though Gospel activities are just for kids, I think they'd be very helpful to adults as well, especially Elyse's worksheets. Also, you can help spread the word by asking your parish to include a note about CatholicMom.com in your Sunday bulletin. I have no advertising budget, so my site grows with the help of the Holy Spirit and word of mouth from friends.

Finally, I'm playing with a CatholicMom.com Frappr Map. If you'd like to mark your spot go here - I'd love to see where some of our activities are being used.

No comments: