Thursday, July 13, 2006

Coping with Separation Anxiety

One of my chicks is sleeping outside the nest tonight - he's over at a good buddy's for the night, and I'm feeling a tad uneasy.

Am I the only Mom who loves sleepovers, as long as they're at her house?

Adam's in safe hands, at the home of a Mom who's probably even more vigilant and much nicer than I am, so I'm not concerned for his safety or security. The truth is, I just miss him!

And this is just the warm up!!!

Adam leaves on Monday for a week of sleepaway camp, where he will be joining this friend and five others for five glorious nights of real summer camp. There will be sleeping in bunks with sleeping bags, nightly campfires, archery, swimming, games, crafts and more. He's going to have a blast - he's been counting the days for weeks now and can't wait to get there.

But Mom's already got that creeping sense of dread that happens when I'm not able to "tuck in" one of my boys. (The truth is, during the summer sometimes they tuck me in!).

So tonight should be good practice for next week...the anxiety I feel is outweighed by the joy that fills my heart when I think of all the fun Adam is probably having right now. We're lucky, Adam and I, to have such wonderful friends and such fun-filled life experiences.

Maybe I need to find a camp to go to too!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your uneasiness reminds me of when my sons would go to stay with their Dad. They would have to take a plane and fly for an hour nonstop. God blessed me with such grace to see me through the loss each time they left home.
Divorce is such a terrible thing. I know what it hs done to me. My sons don't talk about it much, but I wonder how it will effect them as a husband and father. Oh, I know I need to let go and let God.