Monday, May 22, 2006

Counting Backwards

I just dropped Eric at school for the big 8th grade field trip to Magic Mountain. Things have progressed to the stage that most 8th grade parents simply slow the SUV to a crawl while their teenagers jump from the car, anxious to join their buddies. Heaven forbid that a Mom like me actually pull into a parking stall and walk her son to the bus, and don't even think about asking for a hug!

Eric is on the countdown, with five more days left of 8th grade. It's a week that will bring fun memories with special friends. At one of my favorite blogs, Mike St. Pierre's Notebook, Mike has his own take on Counting Backwards, which is what got me started thinking about the whole topic. Mike looks at it from the perspective of good time management and being prepared for what lies ahead. I think that is what Eric's doing this week too - savoring the fun, but anticipating that next leg of his path toward adulthood. Today, his schedule is filled with roller coasters and buddies - just as it should be for an 8th grader! I'm going to try following Mike's advice for Counting Backwards this week to help myself juggle my way through the priorities of a busy week of work and family duties. Counting backwards should help me to find the time to stop and smell the roses that this week is sure to bring!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think I remember your 8th grade "fun field trip"...wasn't it just a few years ago...time flys when you are having FUN!