Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Patron Saint of Word Problems???

I need to invoke some prayers around here for child number two, who has a BIG math test today and needs some support. He's such a bright boy, but has been struggling somewhat with settling in to fifth grade. His quizzes so far reflect the fact that while he knows the concepts, he's rushing and not reading directions or paying attention to small details.

Mom and Dad have been working with him nightly on Math review, and I'm convinced he knows what he's doing. Last night, the eve of the BIG test, we did one major overview. Let me admit up front, I'm hopelessly bad at math! It's ironic, since my mother (the world's best Nana!) was for many years a Math teacher. I'm starting to fear that Adam shares my affliction: he psyches himself out when it comes to Math.

During our review session last night, I did all of the easy chapters with Adam, but then passed him over to Greg for the ultimate stumper - the chapter called "Guess and Check". "Guess and Check", it seems, is the trendy new name for WORD PROBLEMS...my most dreaded elementary school math foe! I contemplated trying to review it with him myself, but then decided that I stood more of a chance of totally messing him up, so I passed him over to his wonderful daddy.

Greg has a quiet patience in situations like this that can be totally astounding. As they worked through each of the questions, he asked gentle, prodding questions - never once losing his cool. At one point, I think even I understood how to answer some of those questions!

I'm praying for Adam this morning - but no so much for a good grade (although that would be nice too, God...).

My prayer for him is for a sense of confidence, that he can remain calm and use the skills he has to do his best job on the task at hand.

4 comments:

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Well, when you figure out the part about "rushing and not checking and thinking about small details" PLEASE pass along the secret solution to that problem!
I'll pray for your 5th grader; please pray for my 4th grader! :)

Unknown said...

Cami, I really have a big problem with them trying to use letters in math!!!

Barb - it must be an ancient secret that we haven't learned yet! Prayers for that 4th grader are on the way!!!

Anonymous said...

I think it is a bit like the Little Train that could...Tell Adam that the word problems are the really FUN ones... like a puzzle -

Pat Gohn said...

My all time favorites saints for intercession where school is concerned are St. Thomas Aquinas, Patron of Scholars; and Our Lady, Seat of Wisdom.

"St Thomas Aquinas, pray for us!"
"Our Lady, Seat of Wisdom, pray for us!"