Thursday, October 13, 2005

A Fit of Mommy Nostalgia

Perhaps this can be chalked up to hormones, but I'm having a "mommy mulligan moment" - one of those days when I wish I could have back some of those early years when my boys were babies and I spent too much time wishing they would grow up and get out of that "difficult" phase.

You see, I spent the morning reviewing and writing about a Baby Video on the story of creation and I found myself remembering back to those long ago days when my boys were babies.

We didn't have Baby Mozart back then (oops, now I sound like Nana who always wondered aloud how she raised five kids with no baby monitor!). So I made do with Fantasia and that obnoxious purple dinosaur. The teenager would die before he'd admit it, but he was a HUGE Barney fan!

I remember the days of popping in a video (no DVDs back then) so that I could rush to take a shower for ten minutes. Those video parenting moments were frequently a Godsend! They seem really far away now...

I think I spent too many of those early days stressing out about the small stuff rather than just holding and treasuring those babies. I know I raced around to way too many activities, but the friendships made with my fellow playgroup moms have stood the test of time and some of those moms are still among my best friends. Now we compare notes on books about parenting teens, rather than discussing potty training strategies.

It's fun to think about those "good old days"...if you're a mommy lucky enough to have a baby at home with you today, spend an extra moment snuggling with him for me, ok??? I'll have to wait until 2:50 pm to snuggle with mine, on the way to football!

1 comment:

Patrice Fagnant-MacArthur said...

Hi Lisa,

Just wanted to let you know how much I am enjoying your blog. I check in on it at least once a week.

Even though my children are still small - 4 1/2 and 3, I can understand what you mean about the time going by so quickly. Sometimes I really wish I could freeze time and keep my boys right where they are.

I've started a blog also that I wanted to share with you as well -
http://www.spiritualwomanthoughts.blogspot.com

Best wishes,

Patrice