Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Obsessive Mom Learns New Hobby

OK, everyone's getting scarves for Christmas this year, so start placing your color preferences here....the Catholic Mom is learning how to knit!

Just what I need, another hobby...

A friend of mine has been bugging me for a month now to join a group of women who meet weekly at our local Catholic bookstore to knit together. I have informed her repeatedly that I'm craft impaired, but she kept after me assuring me that she personally would teach me.

Well today I went, and guess what - it was really fun!

Before the gathering, I stopped at Walmart and bought the cheapest knitting needles and the second cheapest thingy of yarn (it was a little cuter than the cheapest one), assuring myself that this too is a passing phase. I didn't want to invest too much money. (This is the same friend who ushered me into the rubbber stamp phase and now I've got at least $200 of stamps sitting unused in my craft room).

A really long time ago, my saintly grandmother taught me how to knit. I grew bored quickly and set it aside. But knitting must be one of those skills, like riding a bike, that stays with you. Within a few minutes, I remembered what to do and I actually have about an inch of a scarf to show for the hour and a half I spent this morning. I'm speeding up a bit, so I should have at least one half a scarf completed by the end of football season!

The best part of the morning was just sitting in the company of friends, old and new, and doing something creative while enjoying a lively and fun conversation. Yes, I have laundry that needs to be done and emails to answer, but it was nice to take a morning off. I will probably have to re-learn again next Wednesday and I may get another inch done next week - I'm going to try to keep the hobby in check and not get too obsessive with it (HAH!)

So if anybody needs a new, slightly irregular and very imperfect scarf for Christmas, place your orders now!

4 comments:

Wanda said...

Hey, that's exciting news. To me anyway... I am also obsessive about art/crafts/projects...and it's FUN! ;) I don't knit, but I do crochet. I just finished a nice shawl, and am going to start on a 'Martha' poncho now. Please show us your finished scarf.

Anonymous said...

As I remember, your last knitting kept going on and on...you didn't know how to end...I'll bet it is still in that old trunk...maybe you will learn how to finish this time. I'll glad I live where it's hot and I hardly ever wear scarves..Love MOM

Unknown said...

Cami,
If all else fails, the scarf is already big enough for Max the hamster!
Wanda,
If I can get the hamster to stand still long enough to model the scarf I will definitely post a picture!
Mom,
Does that mean you don't want a scarf for Christmas?????

Anonymous said...

I would love a scarf for Christmas!