Thursday, September 08, 2005

Hooray for the Trash Truck!

I was talking with my Daddy this morning on the phone (yes, it's working and they have power and water too!) - he's back at their house in Gulfport to survey the damage and keep a watchful eye on my sister Brady.

He had just finished telling me about how he'd accomplished picking up and throwing out all of the roof shingles that had been strewn about their yard. I noted a distracted tone in his voice, and then he said, "I think I hear the trash truck!".

Sure enough, things are going well enough in their area of town that the garbage is being picked up. Daddy excused himself to run out and help the men with the mammoth job of picking up that heavy garbage can and to take them some water.

It gave me pause...it's amazing how much I take for granted. Since the trash and recycling at my house falls on Greg's "to do" list, I'm not very conscious of trash except that it miraculously goes away once a week without my lifting a finger.

Suddenly, things like having your refuse picked up on a timely schedule feels like a luxury - a blessing - and to the folks in Gulfport, I'm sure it feels like a minor miracle!

We out here in California continue to drive our SUVs to a Costco packed with excess, while there are people all over the South struggling to get their hands on the bare necessities. Yes, we're trying to do our share by contributing to relief funds and offering a welcome mat to "displaced Americans", but I feel as though we really have no concept of the tremendous daily struggles some people face each day.

I'm trying my darndest to think of CONCRETE ways to act in support of them, and to model this type of behavior for my children. Today's lesson, don't take anything for granted, including weekly garbage and recycling services.

No comments: