Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Go Irish!

Last night, our local Notre Dame Club of Central California hosted Jazmin Garcia, Admissions Representative for the University of Notre Dame at a Notre Dame Information Night at our local Catholic high school. It was a great evening, bringing back lots of fun memories for Greg and I on our wonderful days at ND.

My poor boys...they are what you call "double legacies". Mom and Dad met, fell in love, graduated from and married at Notre Dame. That leaves Eric and Adam subject to expectations that they too may someday attend Our Lady's University.

The campaigning has been going on for years. Mom is ruthless - "It's either Notre Dame or ___!"(fill in the blank with the name of whatever local community college is cheapest).

Dad prefers a more understanding approach - "Whatever makes them happiest..." or something along those lines.

What could make them happier than four years in South Bend?!

Well, last night we had help from Jazmin, who delivered a presentation that was so compelling that even a USC fan might jump ship and apply to ND. Our family was in charge of set up and refreshments, so we got to meet her early and stay afterwards to visit with Jazmin and her parents, who coincidentally live in the area. Jazmin's dad reminded me of someone I know: he spoke with tears in his eyes about the day Jazmin received her letter of acceptance to ND. As his eldest daughter, Jazmin was the first in her family to pursue an education beyond high school. He beamed throughout her presentation - looking at him made me cry tears of happiness, since I know the hard work that went into sending Jazmin and later his son to Notre Dame, and I know and share his love for the University.

Football statistics aside, everyone should have the chance to spend some time at Notre Dame. It's a wonderful, spirit filled place overflowing with great minds and even greater souls.

I wish for my boys late nights with buddies in the dorms, walks around the lake, candles lit at the grotto, and maybe even fellow domers for wives. Granted, we've got a few years to go before they consider colleges, but last night they got one small taste of what it might be like to be a student and Notre Dame...and they loved it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Why do I always cry when I read what you write? I am so happy the evening was a success! Mom